Sunday, March 17, 2013

Luna Sandals - MONO - Out on the first run...


Out on the first run...

I need to be up front with you.  I've labored thousands of miles in Luna Sandals (Originals, Equus, Catamounts, DIY Kits, MONOs) and I am extremely partial to my pair of Catamounts (DISCONTINUED - boo!) with a Shell Cordovan leather footbed and elasticized leather laces.  Back to the MONOs.  That said, the simple feel of the MONOs is reminiscent of the Catamounts in that regard.  They are also easy to slip on and off like the Cats.  About 5seconds per foot.  I felt myself getting shin splints in my right leg on the first run...whether this was due to low mileage the week prior or the fact that the MONOs sit 12mm off the ground, 4mm more than what I was used to in the Cats, I don't know if I was subconsciously picking up my foot a little extra so that I wouldn't drag and scrape it on the concrete or if in fact I did have to lift it higher than what my muscles had memorized when wearing the Cats for 1,500miles.  The shin splints went away completely by my third run and its been about a month or so of running in the MONOs, so I think I'm in the clear on that front.  The ground feel on the roads is very supple as is on the trail.  I have a hunch that on the longer training runs the extra 4mm of Vibram neoprene will be a welcome addition.






No comments:

Post a Comment